I was intrigued when I drove past Fordsburg today and saw yet another Jimmy’s franchise called “Jimmy’s Pizza”. It seems like they are trying to flood the market. For those of you that don’t know yet, there is also Jimmy’s Grills and Jimmy’s Fish and Chips.
Nevertheless, it was my experience at Jimmy’s killer prawns at the Zone in Rosebank that has inspired this post. It was a wonderful Sunday evening and as usual the Zone was packed to capacity. My husband and I were greeted by friendly staff that seated us and took the liberty of explaining the daily specials. We settled for two different platters of prawns, ‘Kashmiri’ style. The presentation of the food on arrival was flawless, the prawns were perfectly cooked and the spice was definately one of a kind. The side dishes comprised of, a greek salad, thin crispy spiced chips, stirfry and my favourite of them all, the cream spinach and butternut.
I enjoyed it so much I went hunting for a recipe to replicate it at home. This is what I came across:
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1 onion, green chilli, garlic, salt, 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, 1/2 cup cream
- BUTTERNUT: Cut squash to separate bulb section from solid neck section, then cut pieces lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices with slicer.
- cube and steam add brown sugar till soft and mushy.
- Add salt,pepper and lastly add 1/2 cup fresh cream
- If using fresh spinach, bring 1 inch water to a boil in a 5.5 to 7.5 liter pot over high heat. Add spinach, a few handfuls at a time, and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water.
- Thoroughly squeeze cooked fresh (or thawed frozen spinach) in small handfuls to remove excess moisture, then coarsely chop and transfer to a bowl.
- saute 1 onion add green, chilli, garlic, salt, pepper, 1 Tablespoon brown sugar and 1/2 cup cream.
- Add mixture to spinach and stir to combine.
- serve immediately and enjoy! 🙂